This project arose out of a need to take meaningful portraits of people and attempts to capture, like every great portrait artist, the perceived "essence" of a person in that time and space. The original concept was a series of photographs, shot in my personal style, to be published in a future book. But I found I was also intrigued by the stories and wanted to capture those to put some context behind the images. As I was inspired by James Lipton's Inside the Actor's Studio, I then thought that videotaping people all over the world, capturing their own words and building a project which would continue to grow - across cultures, geography, race, age and time - would be the most interesting.
Even though the recent pandemic postponed the original launch of the project, I have decided to move forward. If you are interested in being considered for the project, please fill out the form below. The details are as follows:
1. You will be asked a series of questions on a large variety of topics. I will send at least a partial list to you via email prior to being accepted into the project.
2. We will meet over the phone and discuss lighting (just household lighting should be sufficient), dress and the format of the session.
3. This can be done remotely. The session may take a couple of hours. It will essentially be a conversation between us where delve a bit into the questions - some of this may be a personal although it is up to you how far you want to go. We will also do a remote photo session during the meeting.
4. If the images are not sufficient, we will schedule another time to meet in person after the quarantine to take your portrait.
5. There will be two types of images - one is a more traditional portrait and the other is a more artistic interpretational portrait. I will send you a signed print of the traditional portrait to hang for your wall as a thank you for your participation.
The material collected may be used for video, live sessions and a future book. Part of the proceeds will be given to a charity still to be determined.
It would be an honor to work with you and capture your story!
For more information and consideration to be involved in the project, please fill out the form below:
Thank you for your interest in On Being Human!
Thank you so much for contact me about my project On Being Human! I will follow-up with a series of sample questions I will ask so you get a sense of the flavor of the project! The next step would be to have a phone conversation to discuss the particulars!